Saturday, February 3, 2007

Taking liberties with scripture...

As I mentioned in my profile page, I like open discussion Bible studies, and try to participate in as many as I can. I enjoy sharing The Word with others, and working together to build up the Body of Christ. I have close friends in just about every mainstream denomination you can name--and I have been blessed to know and learn from them all. I don't like conflict in the study of God's Word, and strive to avoid it. A good study group will have participants who often must "agree to disagree" on a particular matter. I think that the apostle Paul addresses these "disputable matters" splendidly in Romans Chapter 14--one of my favorite chapters in all of the Bible. We will not always agree on the little stuff--and that's fine.

This much said, I must admit to being bothered by the tendency for some folks to bend scripture to suit a denominational or personal doctrine. I've seen this happen far too often, and it is my opinion that folks should be called to task for doing such. An example: Many who believe that it is sinful to drink wine (you'll find most of these in the Church of God, Pentecostal Holiness, and Southern Baptist denominations) tend to warp the Word in order to bolster their belief in teetotalling. We can discuss this matter at length here in the future, but suffice it now to say that drinking wine, so long as one does not drink to drunkeness, is not a sin.

Other subject matter where you'll often see scripture taken out of context or misunderstood is the subject of tongues. There are folks on both sides of this issue of tongues who twist The Word to prop up their own understanding of the matter. That would be a good area of discussion for us to explore here as well. :)

I think one day when all of us Christians finally enter the physical presence of Christ, we may all feel a bit foolish about some of the doctrine we thought was so vital to our salvation and good standing with Him.

Dan

Dan Newberry

Wytheville, Virginia, United States